All students applying for study abroad must have their form signed by the Program Director, Prof. Beddows. Students who intend to articulate courses into the major must identify which courses will be taken and bring syllabi or a way to access information electronically so that Prof. Beddows can examine the content, focus, and rigor of the courses. This information should be organized before meeting with Prof. Beddows. During the meeting, Prof. Beddows will determine if the courses apply to the science list or policy list. Please remember, only two study abroad courses can be articulated into the major, and all approval is conditional until students return with syllabi, notes, exams, and other material for Prof. Beddows' review. Please contact the Program Office to make an appointment to have your study abroad request approved.
Below is a list of Study Abroad programs with a focus in the Environmental Sciences:
SIT Study Abroad
- SIT Study Abroad A pioneer in experiential, field-based study abroad, offers semester and summer programs in more than 40 countries in Asia and the Pacific, Africa, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East, focused on critical global issues with opportunities for undergraduate research.
Danish Institute for Study Abroad
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad Academically challenging study abroad programs taught in English! Discover Europe through course-integrated study tours and Adventure and Discovery Trips. Pick between a range of cultural immersion options and housing options.
NU Global Engagement Summer Institute
- NU Global Engagement Summer Institute is a two-course summer study abroad program focused on teaching students about community development in a global context.
- Contemporary India: is a fall and spring semester program that introduces U.S. undergraduates to some of the most dynamic, exciting areas of Indian society, politics, economics, and culture today.
Ecela Spanish and Environmental Studies Program
- Ecela Spanish and Environmental Studies Program is a summer program in which students participate in a field study in Peru's Manu National Park while receiving intensive Spanish language instruction.
University of Queensland
- University of Queensland A large, green and open campus located on the Brisbane River and close to the South Pacific shore, University of Queensland is a world leader in biotechnology, marine science, and engineering and offers a wide range of courses related to Australia in history, political science, and sociology.
ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) - Zurich
- ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)-Zurich ETH Zurich ranks among the top 10 universities in the world. With 21 Nobel Prize winners associated with the institute, ETH has a well-deserved reputation for state-of-the-art research. Students will have the opportunity to combine coursework with research. ETH is located in Zurich, which is consistently rated as one of the best places in the world to live.
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology With advanced research facilities in fields such as microsystems, energy systems, multimedia technology, biotechnology, nanoscience and optoelectronics, HKUST is at the cutting-edge in important fields. Students are able to combine research with courses in a wide-range of fields. HKUST is a uniquely international university, but maintains strong ties to Chinese culture and institutions and offers an excellent program in Chinese Studies.
University of Otago
- University of Otago As a direct university enrollment program, Northwestern students will be able to experience first hand what it’s like to be a student in New Zealand; they will have access to nearly all the same opportunities and courses as Kiwi students and will rely on the University of Otago International Office for support. This is a program for independent students who are looking to immerse fully into regular Kiwi life.
Victoria University of Wellington
- Victoria University of Wellington Victoria University of Wellington, also called the "Vic", offers you an opportunity to study a wide variety of subjects in New Zealand's cultural and political capital. Most students will take courses at the Kelburn campus, a picturesque campus perched on a hillside overlooking downtown Wellington, or either of Vic’s convenient downtown campuses.